Re: Org keymap question

From: Alan
Subject: Re: Org keymap question
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 14:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 9:03:02 PM UTC-5, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Charles Millar <millarc_at_verizon.net> writes:
>
> >> The Info node that I referenced says:
> >>
> >> 'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
> >>       Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.
> >>
> >> & that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.
> >>
> > I must be missing the point. Are you asking why C-h w or M-x whereis
> > does not report that M-S-right is bound to org-table-insert-column,
> > even though it is bound?
> >
> > I agree that  C-h w org-table-insert-column gives the tesult that you
> > received, i.e. not bound to any key.
> >
> > And yet - meta-shift-right is the key chord for
> > org-table-insert-column which does insert a column to the left of the
> > point
> >
> > Perhaps there is a bug vis-a-vis, "whereis" and the orgmode
> > keybindings, and I suggest that you post this question to the orgmode
> > mailing list at emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, since it is there you will find
> > the org-mode gurus
>
> C-h k M-S-<right> while the point is on a Org table gives:
>
> <M-S-right> runs the command org-shiftmetaright (found in
> org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `org.el'.
>
> It is bound to <M-S-right>, ESC <S-right>, C-c C-x R, <menu-bar> <Org>
> <Edit Structure> <Demote Subtree>, <menu-bar> <Tbl> <Column> <Insert
> Column>.
>
> (org-shiftmetaright)
>
> Demote subtree or insert table column.
> Calls `org-demote-subtree', `org-indent-item-tree', or
> `org-table-insert-column', depending on context.  See the
> individual commands for more information.
>

> As you can see the key binding invokes org-shiftmetaright which calls
> the corresponding function as per the context. It is apparent that Org
> has its own keybinding dispatch mechanism on top of Emacs', so
> `where-is' and related features are not reliable when working on Org.

I can make several observations:

(1) (where-is 'org-shiftmetaright) will work

(2) A search for "org-shiftmetaright" in the Org Info manual ("This manual is
for Org version 8.2.9.") turns up nothing.

(3) I couldn't produce key combo "M-S <right>" by using the "esc" key on my Mac
keyboard as the means for invoking <meta>.  I could do so with the alt/option
key (default <meta> key), or by using the control key in my case [(setq
mac-control-modifier 'meta) in my init file].

(4) (describe-mode) does mention "<M-S-right>   org-shiftmetaright" & if I had
paid it more attention (and less to the Org Info manual) I would have been
better off.