Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gnus + Gmail + IMAP
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:09:07 +0300

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:04:09 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> Somehow, minibuffer-line--update calls format-mode-line, which calls
> format-time-string, which again calls run-hooks, which again calls
> minibuffer-line--update.  Look into your hook and see how this can
> happen.

I think I know the answer: format-time-string uses a temporary buffer,
which is then killed when no longer needed.  That call to kill-buffer
invokes your buffer-list-update-hook again, thus the infinite
recursion.

I think you need to modify your buffer-list-update-hook to ignore
temporary buffers, those whose names begin with a space.