Re: elint and the byte-compiler

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: elint and the byte-compiler
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:07:31 -0700

On 2015-06-26 17:48 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> only then if I set the variable before that, is there a danger what is
> loaded will in it's own init process write over what I already set?

Not if the loaded module uses defvar:

 (defvar SYMBOL &optional INITVALUE DOCSTRING)

 Define SYMBOL as a variable, and return SYMBOL.
 You are not required to define a variable in order to use it,
 but the definition can supply documentation and an initial value
 in a way that tags can recognize.

 INITVALUE is evaluated, and used to set SYMBOL, only if SYMBOL's value
 is void.