Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispel

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OT] Long words (was: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 01:25:00 +0200

> Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung ;-)
>
> (a certificate of inability to work

Are you sure that is a *German* word?

:)

> NB: despite of all the fun we make of the German
> language (cf.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlATOHGj9EY),
> I really like it. (Also, before anyone gets
> offended: I have nothing against joking about my
> language, or my compatriots, or my fellow Catholics,
> provided that the joke is good. AFAIK, most jokes
> about Poles are rather poor

How about: When do you drink your last milk in Poland?
... The day the cow sit down.

    *ouch*

Or: What do Polish women get after they marry, which
is long and often difficult to handle? ...
A family name.

    XHA XHA XHA XHA!

If you read the autobio of Steve Wozniak, which
I think is this:

    @book{iwoz,
      title      = {iWoz},
      author     = {Steve Wozniak},
      publisher  = {Norton \& Company},
      year       = 2006,
      ISBN       = 0393061434
    }

you get many such jokes. Woz had not-that-distant
roots in Poland. When he was into the phreak scene he
put up a telephone "service" to which you could call
for Polish jokes. The thing got so popular eventually
the US-Polish association called him and asked him to
drop it as it put their country in bad light. Woz then
asked if it was OK if he just replaced Poland for
Italy. That, they said, would be OK.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573