RE: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choic

From: Jürgen Hartmann
Subject: RE: How to enter for example \200 offered by ispell in its buffer *Choices*
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:19:25 +0200

Thank you Eli Zaretskii for your rapid answer:

>> Now the question: How do I enter ^? or \200 in this situation?
>
> ^? with C-q and \200 with "C-x 8 RET 80 RET".  But see below.

Unfortunately this doesn't work.

Since ispell-command-loop uses the function read-key to get the users answer,
it is not straight forward to use

   C-q

or

   C-x 8 RET

sequences: C-q is instantaneously read as ^q and C-x as ^x. Both are
discarded immediately by ispell-command-loop as wrong input, so they can not
be used to build sequences.

> Please report this as a bug.  Ispell should offer printable
> characters, not control characters.  E.g., instead of \200, it should
> use ä or some such.

I will do this.

Of course one might ask whether it is useful to offer such a mass of options.
Maybe it would be enough to limit their number.

But however: Is there a method--some translation keymaps or
something alike--that allows to enter a key code numerically to read-key?

Juergen