RE: Getting "Error in post-command-hook" with "(void-variable icicle-mod

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting "Error in post-command-hook" with "(void-variable icicle-mode)" on switch-to-buffer after adding icicle
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:27:54 -0700 (PDT)

> I very recently added icicle to my Emacsen (both Cygwin Emacs 24.5.1
> and 24.3.1 on CentOS7).  Now, whenever I do "switch-to-buffer", when
> I press the first key to begin a buffer name, I see the following:
>
>       Error in post-command-hook (icomplete-post-command-hook):
> (void-variable icicle-mode)
> What might be the problem here?

Something is trying to evaluate variable `icicle-mode', but it seems
that Icicles has not been loaded, so that variable is undefined.

We can take this off list, to find the problem (you can report back
to the list if you think what we find is useful for others).

Are you also using library `icomplete+.el' (you do not need to -
just asking)?

Have you loaded Icicles?  Have you turned on `icicle-mode'
(presumably not)?

Are you actually calling `switch-to-buffer' or just using `C-x b'
(which in Icicle mode is bound to `icicle-buffer', by default).
If the latter, what does `C-h k C-x b' tell you?

Can you reproduce the problem if you start Emacs using `emacs -Q'
(no init file) and then load whatever libraries you think are
needed for the bug?

If not, recursively bisect your init file to find what code
leads to the problem.  You can do that using `comment-region'
to comment out 1/2, then 3/4, 7/8, 15/16... of your init file.

Sorry for the trouble.  Let me know as much as you can.

Thx - Drew