Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to get info pages for Emacs?
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 01:49:43 +0100

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
>>   % install-info info-file dir-file
>>
>> adds an entry for the given info-file in the given dir-file.  So
>> you can
>> do that for the missing files and hopefully that will resolve the
>> issue.
>
> Ok, well, that fixed it.  I can now see the Emacs info both from the
> command line and from within Emacs, and the variable is set and
> correct.  It seems likely this was some sort of flaw in the image
> assembly.  I'll first ask the person who gave me access to this image.
> We'll see how far he can take it.

When you specify a manual on the command line using info, like "info
emacs", info will search the relevant files like /usr/share/info for the
specified file.  It doesn't have to be mentioned in the dir file.  But,
if nothing is specified then the dir file is used and if there's no
entry for an info file then nothing is shown.  Emacs works the same
way.  Before you edited your dir file if you'd have done (info-display
manual "emacs") it would have worked.

The underlying problem is that the package manager should have called
install-info for you.  The installation script isn't complete.

BR,
Robert Thorpe