Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse

From: Damien Wyart
Subject: Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 16:03:53 +0200

* JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> Thanks, Damien. Added it after ...follow-mouse, i.e.,
> from .emacs in original post
> (setq mouse-wheel-follow-mouse 't) ;;; scroll window under mouse
> (setq mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil) ;;; <-- added your suggestion
> But it had no effect. Does it do anything for you???

In fact, I did not try it myself, but borrowed it from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SmoothScrolling
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/445873/how-can-i-make-emacs-mouse-scrolling-slower-and-smoother

Your .emacs looked correct, and I have read here or there that
mouse-wheel-progressive-speed did help in some cases, but maybe there
has been a misunderstanding on what you would like exactly.

Here is some further reading on this topic and closely related ones;
could you tell us if some of these solutions work for you, and if not,
what you would like precisely?

http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/scroll-restore.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10348473/emacs-mouse-wheel-scroll-preserve-buffer-position
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9616623/ctrl-up-down-style-scrolling-in-emacs/9620883#9620883