Re: make buffer be c++ mode?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: make buffer be c++ mode?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 01:27:30 +0200

Jai Dayal <dayalsoap@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a file that I've opened with a .cu extension.
> It's C++ code written for Cuda. How do I force Emacs
> to display the buffer as if it were C mode? I just
> want to do it just for this buffer.

If you want this for this particular file and none
other, do like this:

    (setq magic-mode-alist '(("/\\* cpp \\*/" . c++-mode)))

Then write

    /* cpp */

first line in your .cu file.

If you want this for any file with a .cu extension,
you can do it like this - here I paste my code, you
insert your data (.cu and c++-mode) the same way:

    (let ((extras '(
         ("\\.gpi"                                               . gnuplot-mode)
         ("\\.\\(glsl\\|oil\\|ssc\\|dfy\\)"                      . c-mode)
         ("\\.lua"                                               . lua-mode)
         ("\\.\\(service\\|list\\|theme\\|mailrc\\|sed\\|inc\\)" . conf-mode)
         ("\\.pic"                                               . nroff-mode)
         ("\\.xr"                                                .
conf-xdefaults-mode)
         ("inputrc"                                              .
conf-colon-mode)
         ("KILL"                                                 .
emacs-lisp-mode)
         ("\\.service"                                           . emacs)
         )))
      (setq auto-mode-alist (append extras auto-mode-alist)) )

As you see, I put a lot of files with goofy extensions
into either C mode or configuration mode. The reason
isn't those files are "really" C, rather C has a very
basic syntax which is reused (or closely so) in a lot
of languages. If you were to do that stuff every day
(God forbid) then you'd want I proper mode, here it is
just to make it look good and perhaps get some
indentation as a quick fix the few times you do it.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573