Re: Long file names in Dired

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Long file names in Dired
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:38:15 -0600

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> so I have some really, really long filenames (say, more than 70
> characters), and I'd like to shorten them so they don't spill to the
> next line in Dired.  I can toggle-truncate-lines, of course,

That was the first thing I thought of too.

> but then I don't see the extension, and I'd prefer to truncate the
> part /before/ the extension.

Explain more?  The file extension isn't special to toggle-truncate-lines.

> Is there any Dired hack enabling this?

Have you used C-x < and C-x > scroll-left and scroll-right from the
horizontal scrolling section?

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Horizontal-Scrolling.html

Then scroll so that the extensions are visible?  As long as the
beginning of the file name is in the visible window then everything
works okay for me.  Does that work for you?

Bob