Re: Bookmark the end of file?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Bookmark the end of file?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 03:10:56 +0200

On 2015-04-07, at 02:00, Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 01:39:03 +0200, in message
> 87vbh8hlns.fsf@wmi.amu.edu.pl, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> how to set a bookmark to the end of some file (IOW, (point-max))?  (Of
>> course it is possible with Bookmark+, but is there any UI for that
>> there?  Is it at all possible with vanilla bookmarks?)
>>
>> My use case is a file which I visit (almost) every day to /add/
>> something to its end (e.g., a ledger file).  I can imagine other,
>> similar uses for that, too.
>

> Marcin,
>
> Why not use "M->" ((end-of-buffer &optional ARG), which is also
> bound to "C-end", and <menu-bar> <edit> <goto> <end-of-buffer>)?
> There's no need to set up a bookmark, or other bit of programming.
>
> The reverse operation is bound to "M-<" ("C-home", etc).

Well, thinking in that direction, I don't need Emacs at all: a magnetic
needle and a steady hand is all that is really necessary. ;-)

But putting stupid jokes aside, if I /always/ hit M-> after visiting
some file, something is not optimal, right?  And bookmarks are
a convenient way to visit often-used files, regardless if the directory
I'm in.  (And I have a rather deep directory structure - I have
virtually no files until two levels down, and usually there are three or
four.  OTOH, there are no more than maybe two-three dozen of files I'm
working on at any particular moment.  This is a perfect use case for
bookmarks.)

> --Dale

But thanks anyway!

PS. BTW, the other bindings you mentioned are useless for me: I have my
menu-bar disabled (ok, I /could/ use M-x menu-bar-open...), and don't
have an <end> key on my netbook.

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University