Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 03:44:16 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> But then, why stop with +?
>
> You could use instead:
>
>    (funcall (additive-operator (ring integer))
> (neutral-element (multiplicative-operator (ring
> integer))) 5) ; 6
>
> or something even more general?

OK, the rule should be respelled "the most general
method wich is still instantly recognizable as serving
its specific purpose".

In this example, the data could be hard coded (with
+), so it can be replaced easily when patterns appear
(i.e., the sama data appears several times). So the
data is hard coded now so not to be later (or, if it
simply needs to be changed, as said).

With `1+', in that case the operator would have to be
replaced. But I don't want to do that and especially
not if I can remedy the problem by just changing data.

--
underground experts united