Re: Footers cut off in ps file

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: Footers cut off in ps file
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:08:01 +0000

Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:09:22 +0000, in message 871tla4d31.fsf@gmail.com,
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Dale Snell <ddsnell@frontier.com> writes:
>>
>> > Out of curiosity, what does the papersize(5) command show for your
>> > system?  It's possible that your system is defaulting to LETTER
>> > instead of A4, though that seems quite unlikely.  I ask because I
>> > had trouble printing from a SuSE system.  It turned out that the
>> > system default was A4, which I hadn't expected.  I set the default
>> > to LETTER, and all was well.
>>
>> I don't have that command: `papersize' on my system.
>
> ACK!  My apologies; I confused the man pages for the command and
> the file.  papersize(5) is about the file /etc/papersize;
> paperconf(1) is the command that reads and writes it.  You should
> have it; it appears to have been written for Debian.

paperconf confirms that on my Debian system - both the brand new one and the
old one - a4 is the default paper format.

> I still think the key to finding the source of this problem is in
> your two Debian systems.  In one, the file displays correctly; in
> the other, it doesn't.  Find out where they differ for displaying
> PostScript; that's where your problem is most likely to be.

Well, in one there is gv 3.7.4 and page numbers are cut; in the other there is
gv 3.6.5 and the ps file is perfectly displayed.  On the other hand, your gv
3.7.4 also shows it up fine, so it could maybe be a problem of Emacs (my new
version is 25.0.50.1) or of Debian.  But the Debian list didn't help, so I
don't know how to work it out.  It's really annoying.

Thanks,

Rodolfo