Re: View log files with emacs

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: View log files with emacs
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:53:33 +0100

> Drew Adams (2015-02-17 18:43 +0300) wrote:

>>> I have to look at some log files more often now and was wondering if
>>> there are some handy things for emacs in that regard? I'm aware of
>>> log4j-mode, but couldn't find more. It's for java (logback and log4j)
>>> log files so I'd like to do fold stacktraces etc and also remove certain
>>> parts I'm not interested in to make the file smaller (we seem to log
>>> more useless than useful stuff…).

>> I see this library when I search for "log" on Emacs Wiki.
>> No idea how helpful it will be for you, however.
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/syslog-mode.el

> It is maintained at <https://github.com/vapniks/syslog-mode> and it's
> available on MELPA.

I got it from MELPA and put
 (require 'syslog-mode)
in the .emacs file.

But it doesn't open the log files in /var/log automatically, they still
open as Fundamental, and I have to 'M-x syslog-mode RET' to get the mode
running.

The value of the syslog-log-file-directory variable is the default
"/var/log".  There doesn't seem to be any settings beyond that...?

Thanks!

- Steinar