Re: better shells flow and integration

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: better shells flow and integration
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 22:30:29 +0000

andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
> So for some things I tend to use tmux and terminator, which are cool but
> are not inside Emacs sadly.
>
> Trying to find some ways to improve the flow:
> 1. is there a way to avoid these unresponsive moments and/or limit the
>    number of lines in the shell (or other similar) buffer?
>
> 2. alternatively maybe can I integrate Emacs and tmux?
>    Actually as soon as I thought about this I found a few things:
>    http://bradylove.com/blog/2013/05/24/commanding-tmux-with-emacs/
>    And a couple of packages in ELPA, so I'll try that out.

You can run GNU Screen inside an Emacs term or ansi-term.  I expect you
can do the same with Tmux.  There's a bit about doing it with Screen
here http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnuScreen , there are couple of
gotchas and things you have to setup in Screen's rc file.  This way, if
you have to reboot X and/or Emacs then you can reconnect to the Screen
session.

I think disconnecting from the virtual terminal that's churning out all
the output should fix the responsiveness of Emacs.  But, when your
actually viewing a lot of data I think Emacs will be slower using M-x
term and Screen than using M-x shell.

BR,
Robert Thorpe