Re: Single quotes in Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Single quotes in Info
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:38:29 +0200

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 00:17:47 +0100
>
> I'm not sure about it, but it seems that after upgrading from 24.3 to
> 25.0.50.1, the Info buffer is a bit uglified.  First, it uses some face
> I don't like for variable and function names

Not sure what you mean here, because there is no such face in Info.
Maybe you mean Info-quoted, which is used for quoted strings?  (You
can use "M-x describe-text-properties" to show the face at point.)

> Worse, instead of e.g. `t' it now says ‘t’, for instance (i.e., it
> uses Unicode single quotation marks).

I don't think this has anything to do with Emacs.  These characters
come from the Info file itself, and are produced by the new 'makeinfo'
command.  That's "progress" for you: many people nowadays no longer
want to see ASCII quotes, they want to see those fancy characters
Unicode introduced.

Or maybe the reason is that in Emacs 24 we actively prevent 'makeinfo'
from doing that, whereas in Emacs 25 we don't.

> This is extremely annoying, since it makes incremental searching for
> single-quoted strings much harder.

Doesn't M-C-s allow you to find that by a suitable regexp?

Anyway, we should revive bug #13131, and provide an easier solution
for this particular issue.

> How to get back to ASCII quotes?

I think you need to regenerate the Info docs, using the levers we did
in Emacs 24 to disallow Unicode quotes.  Or customize 'makeinfo' to
produce ASCII characters instead (search for OPEN_QUOTE_SYMBOL in the
Texinfo manual), and then regenerate the docs.  Or install an older
'makeinfo', which didn't produce these quotes, and then regenerate the
docs.