RE: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:38:32 -0800 (PST)

> > 1. See standard options `bookmark-use-annotations' and
> >    `bookmark-automatically-show-annotations'.
>
> Thanks!  BTW, the latter one seems to be `t' by default.

That is the vanilla Emacs default.  I generally leave such things
alone.  All of the vanilla options (i.e., `bookmark-*') are left
alone.  Bookmark+ option names have the prefix `bmkp-'.

> > 2. In Bookmark+, standard functions `bookmark-edit-annotation',
> > `bookmark-show-annotation', and `bookmark-show-all-annotations' are
> > also commands.  The first two prompt you for the name of an annotated
> > bookmark (with completion) and then show you the annotation.
>
> This does not seem to be the case for the latter two functions.  (I have
> bookmark+ from the Git repo mentioned on the EW page.)

What does not seem to be the case - they are not commands or they
do not prompt you as I said?

Anyway, both claims should hold.  I suspect that you do not have
the latest source files.  The latest files are always on Emacs Wiki.
I cannot speak to when or how successfully mirroring happens. ;-)

> > option `bmkp-light-style-non-automated' and/or option
>                                ^^^^^^^^^ autonamed, of course

Yes, that's what I meant.

> > `bmkp-light-style-autonamed'.  The latter is for autonamed
> > bookmarks; the former is for all other kinds of bookmarks.
>
> Is it a good idea to run bmkp-light-bookmarks in a hook or something,
> so that the bookmarks ale always visible, or can it e.g. degrade
> performance?

There are options for highlighting all bookmarks or particular
kinds of bookmarks automatically when you jump to or set a bookmark:
`bmkp-auto-light-when-jump' and `bmkp-auto-light-when-set'.  You
generally do not need to fiddle with hooks (in particular, hooks
`bookmark-after-jump-hook' and `bmkp-after-set-hook').

Option `bmkp-light-threshold' controls the number of bookmark
highlights.

I doubt that performance will be affected in any noticeable way.
It is more a question of what you find helpful vs what you find
annoying.  Different strokes for different folks.

IMO, highlighting is most helpful for bookmarks in the current
buffer, in particular for autonamed bookmarks or when cycling
among bookmarks in the buffer.

> As for the other suggestion: I decided to write here anyway, someone
> might be interested in this, too.  Also, once I figure out a workflow
> for my use case, I intend to describe it on my site.  Thanks a lot

You're welcome.