Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 05:55:35 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Can you both provide hard facts instead of vague FUD
> about what makes Emacs on Windows an unpleasant
> experience?

I have been in exactly this discussion before. Even
then there were people who said it isn't the same at
all (and provided examples), and there were also
people who got agitated and said "its exactly the
same, what are you talking about, oh oh oh".

I can mention dozens of things that are different
running Emacs in a Linux VT compared to running it on
Windows. Probably hundreds but I stopped doing it on
Windows after two or three days and I won't do it
again.

But what is different: the colors and how to set them
up, retrieval and installation of Emacs itself, how to
invoke it, how you get additional software (e.g.,
LaTeX components, and Emacs-w3m), what such software
is available, how Emacs interacts with the rest of the
system - it doesn't have to be IPC with named pipes or
anything that fancy (but that would be different as
well, because of the different OS models) - it can be
as simple as the clipboard interaction with tmux and
X, all that just recently discussed would be totally
unapplicable; the keys, and how to setup special keys;
not to mention Windows in itself as a laughably
bloated and annoying system with popups and nuclear
wars all the time running amok in the, eh,
"background".

Windows is a joke. No excuses!

--
underground experts united