Re: Mark

From: ken
Subject: Re: Mark
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 17:28:52 -0500

On 01/02/2015 11:55 AM, Hugh Mayfield wrote:
Hi all

Sorry for newbie question.  After a while, Emacs starts behaving all the
time as if I have typed C-SPC.  That is, whenever I move point, the text
between point and the previous location of point is highlighted.  How do
I disable this, please?  Also, how did I invoke it, so I can avoid the
same happening again?  Various web searches and looking at the manual
left me none the wiser.

Regards,

Hugh

Yeah, that happens to me too. That "feature" came into emacs a few years ago around the same time that some people wanted emacs to act more like Windows. If there's a way to turn it off, I'd like to know too. All I can say is, when you see it happening, do "C-g" to turn off the highlighting. It can happen again. So you do "C-g" again. Ad infinitum.

What's really bad is if you type a printable character when some area (region) is highlighted (which you might miss if the region is offscreen or if you're not constantly watching the screen). Then everything highlighted will be replaced by that printable character. Apparently that's what you're supposed to want to happen. Apparently #2, "C-w" is too much work if you want to wipe out a block of text.