RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: When do you prefer frames instead of windows?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:57:59 -0800 (PST)

> | > Single frame for Ediff: A on top, B in the middle, Control at
> | > bottom.  The separate control frame is a nuisance with
> | > focus-follows-mouse, it almost always is out of focus, loses
> | > the cursor, or misbehaves in other fashions...
> >
> | Seems like that is something that could be fixed.  Have you
> | thought about filing a bug report / enhancement request?
> | (`M-x report-emacs-bug')
>
> It's not a bug... :-) I don't think there is anything that emacs can
> do about it.  If I want focus-follows-mouse (and I want it :-), then
> moving the mouse out of the ediff control frame really should move the
> mouse out of it, and not try to be helpful and force the mouse inside
> the control frame or such nonsense.

Is that not what happens?  I would think that that is a bug.
I agree that with focus-follow-mouse the focus should follow
the mouse. ;-)

And if it did do that?  What would the problem be with Ediff, in that
case?  I should think that there would be no problem.

If you leave your mouse in the Ediff Control Panel frame then focus
should stay there, and if you move it out of that frame, into another
frame, then focus should leave that frame.  That should be no different
from turning off focus-follows-mouse and clicking in a frame to focus
it.

Assuming that this worked (if it does not), what would the problem be
for Ediff, for your use?

> I now have bound a key to get my ediff control panel back:
>     <C-M-up> runs the command (lambda nil (interactive) (let ((buf
>     (get-buffer "*Ediff Control Panel*"))) (if buf (pop-to-buffer
>     buf)))),
>     which is an interactive Lisp function.
> and then C-l recenters everything (could even pack that in the
> keybinding, but...)

I don't think Ediff should be grabbing focus back, if you have
asked that focus move elsewhere (which you do when you move the
mouse out of the control frame).  This sounds like a bug, to me (FWIW).