How to get the output of a command?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: How to get the output of a command?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:17:50 +0100

Hello there,

I'd like to run some shell command and then receive its output *as the
value of some expression*.  IOW, I'd like to do this:

(setq output (do-magic "echo Whatever"))

so that `output's value is the string "Whatever".

What should I put in place of do-magic?  I skimmed through the manual
section on processes, but I suspect there might be some simple way...

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University