Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:56:29 -0800

Using emacs 24.4.1.

In a dired buffer, I "% m" to mark all files containing ".org". The
first of these, for instance, is called "animals.org". Once the files
are marked, I intend to move them to a new directory, and I type
"R". Then the minibuffer says,

"Pinging animals.org (Non-profit Organization)..."

And the process stalls. A quick investigation via "C-h k R" tells me
that the command is still bound to "dired-do-rename". What is getting
called here, and why? It seems only to happen when I'm trying to rename
multiple marked files. If I mark only one, things happen as they should.

Thank you!
steven arntson