Re: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 01:43:41 +0100

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <oitofelix@gnu.org>
writes:

>>> I'm not for wasting paper with books.
>>
>> Just curious: how many e-books do you read every
>> year?
>
> Does it count the GNU manuals read more than once?

Absolutely. A "book" can be everything from say 75
pages to some 300. "Lord of the Rings", "Idiot", etc.
count one book per volume. Re-reading counts as a new,
as it is a virtue to do that, especially if some time
has passed since the previous read. A "book" can also
be a magazine of the type Black Belt, The Ring,
Linux Journal, the SF&F magazines (previously refered
to as pulp mags), and so on, as they often contain as
much information as a book. Actually the "rules" are
not that important. Just give me a rough estimate and
I'll accept it.

>>> I can download an electronic copy and send it to
>>> you, though.
>>
>> That won't be necessary: I am capable of
>> downloading files from the Internet.
>
> Are you sure? One thing is downloading it and
> another is finding it. Let me know if you happen to
> change your mind.

No, stop it, I know where to find them and how to
download them as does everyone else.

> Even if to give you instructions of how to get those
> manuals to the library we had to tell you what to
> buy or download?

You have not given me a single instruction that has
made any sense. One person said something sensible
when he confirmed this was a legal thing to do, after
that is has only been negativism and expedition fever
all over.

> I understand it, but I don't see how it's
> applicable. I know however another quote that is so
> in this very situation: "Whenever you quote some
> text and someone else doesn't understand it, it
> isn't always their fault."

You just made that quote up, but OK: what I wrote was
a joke. I'm not going to explain it because even if
you succeed explaining jokes only on "Star Trek" with
Data's emotion chip they make people laugh in
retrospect long after the joke was made. If you don't
get it - yeah, that's it.

--
underground experts united