Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: HOWTO: lightning fast Emacs on Linux multicore
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 21:34:36 +0100

jj.retorre@gmail.com (Jean-Jacques Rétorré) writes:

> I dont. I do the trick on my eeepcX101CH (Intel(R)
> Atom(TM) CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz) and I dont see any
> significant difference.

There can be many reasons for this.

One can be - is Emacs already super-fast?

I have lots of configuration and extentions, and
though I've written it as cleverly as possible, I must
admit that the interactive feel of 'emacs -Q' is
faster, not much but I sense it. Just as I sense the
one-core solution is faster.

Try bring in a bunch of stuff in .emacs if you didn't
already - w3m, LaTeX, Gnus, everything you can think
of - and then compare that to 'emacs -Q'. If you don't
feel a difference, perhaps you already hit the roof.

As for your CPU I don't know what optimization,
parallelizations, and so on are at play at that level.
It is more like a electrical engineering thing
anyway :) But do enlighten us if you know.

--
underground experts united