Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 17:51:05 +0200

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:33:54 +0100
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Furthermore, Eli told me recently that sources should be included
> (either separately or in the same archive) anyway to be compliant
> with the license.

I meant a separate source archive, of course.  That had nothing to do
with having the sources installed, let alone in some specific public
place.

> Can you give "typical examples" where (expand-file-name "../src/emacs"
> > invocation-directory) will give the right result?
>

> Would you agree that this is *at least* more reasonable default in many
> cases than hard coding nonexistent directory?

No, it's much *less* reasonable.

> There were plenty of examples like relocating/deleting sources from
> original location where they were during build or moving to
> different machine with prebuilt Emacs (for instance on UFD) or
> distributing it as prebuilt package to other users. I don't know
> what other "more" convincing examples you want to find as these ones
> pretty much cover the use cases of "source-directory" variable.

Relocating things will not necessarily put them in ../src/ relative to
the binaries.  There's any number of other places, so the probability
of winding up in ../src is close to zero.