Re: How to bind a key locally to a buffer (not mode!)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to bind a key locally to a buffer (not mode!)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:36:12 +0200

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> (global-set-key ...)
>>
>> binds a key globally.
>>
>> (local-set-key ...)
>>
>> binds a key locally, i.e., in the current major mode.
>>
>> I'd like to bind a key in /one buffer/ only, so that the rebinding does
>> not affect other buffers in this mode.  I could probably do it by
>> defining a minor mode, which rebinds this key to a function, which runs
>> a function set by a buffer-local variable, but this seems rather
>> convoluted.  Is there a simpler way to achieve this?
>
> There is, I used to do this in one of my org buffers. I forget the exact
> code now, but I'll look for it.
>
> You essentially split the current buffer's keymap from its major mode, and
> then call local set key.

1. C-h f local-set-key RET

2. the documentation of local-set-key tells you how to do it:

       The binding goes in the current buffer's local map,
       which in most cases is shared with all other buffers in the same major
mode.

   Therefore you should create a buffer local map distinct from the major
   mode map.

3. M-x apropos RET local map RET

4. find a command that lets you create a local keymap.

5. use local-set-key with the new buffer local map.