Different shell behavior during start up

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: Different shell behavior during start up
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 14:59:57 +0000

To begin: I have a work-around for the issue described below, but I'd like to
understand what's going on.

In my .emacs I have `(shell)' and that (1) does not run my .bash_profile and
therefore (2) picks up the current shell environment.

I'd like a second shell that behaves the same way, but all of the following run
my profile and therefore overwrite the current shell environment:

C-u M-x shell <RET> *build*
M-: (shell "*build*")
M-: (let ((explicit-bash-args (delete "-i" explicit-bash-args))) (shell
"*build*"))
$ emacs -eval '(shell "*build*")'
$ emacs -eval '(let ((explicit-bash-args (delete "-i" explicit-bash-args)))
(shell "*build*"))'

The invocations that reset explicit-bash-args do indeed redefine it, but the
effect seems to be global.

Can anyone help me understand what the difference between `(shell)' and the
other evaluations is? I do notice that `-eval' is not mentioned as an
initialization option (info "(emacs) Initial Options"), so I assume that all of
the above are really operating under the same conditions.

Thanks for any insight.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

"This is a slow pup," he said continuing his ascent.