Re: Elpa packages and Makefiles

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and Makefiles
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:11:35 +0800

>> will Elpa deployment honor an existing Makefile (in which case, which
>> targets are used?), ignore it, or conflict -- ie I should .elpaignore it
>> or something.
>
> package.el currently just ignores the Makefile.
> It also ignores the .texi files, by the way (sadly).

Okay I'm finally actually getting around to this, playing with a local
deployment to see how it works, and still have a few questions (just one
for now).

I've got this package in Github as well, so I'm leaving it there, and
moving local development to a subtree in elpa/packages.

I started out with putting all the lisp files under a lisp/ directory in
the main package directory (for reasons that now escape me). That
includes the main PACKAGE.el entry-point file. I'd prefer not to mess
with this, for the sake of existing users. Is there any sort of crutch I
can use to both allow Elpa to create its top-level PACKAGE-pkg.el file
(and put the lisp/ directory on the load path), and also not disturb
users who are running from Github and have manually put lisp/ into their
load path?

Perhaps, if the "crutch" is simple, I could put it in a separate "elpa"
branch that gets rebased on top of master, then push master to Github,
and elpa to Elpa?

Thanks,
Eric