Displaying special characters

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: Displaying special characters
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:08:56 -0400

I wrote out notes a whiel ago and used the TeX input mode to add
special/accented characters. But now when I load the file, they are all
represented as code symbols:

        Distinguishes between fabula and sjuz†et.

Is there any way to recover/display these properly?
- Tory

PS: even trying to send this message it yells at me about "unprintable
characters." In case they don't come through, I see "sjuz\314\206et"