Telling auctex to format a user-defined command as \item ?

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Telling auctex to format a user-defined command as \item ?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:08:42 +0100

(Crossposted; please feel free to follow-up to either group as I read
both of them.)

I have the following definitions in the preamble:

#v+
\newcommand{\slug}{\hspace{1.0em}}
\newcommand{\object}[1]{\textsf{#1}}
\newcommand{\method}[3]{\item{\slug}\object{#1}{\slug}\url{#2}{\slug}#3}
#v-

So I have lists with this sort of thing:

#v+
\begin{itemize}
  \method{GET}{http://localhost:port/documents}{lists all document ids.}
  \method ...
#v-

The formatting commands (indent-region, fill-region, etc.) aren't
keeping the \method commands on separate lines (like \item) because
latex-mode/auctex doesn't know what they are.  What magic do I need to
use to tell it to format \method like \item?

Thanks,
Adam