Re: how to add button to emacs that play a elisp code

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: how to add button to emacs that play a elisp code
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 23:15:58 +0200

>>> Please please prettty please don't quote your
>>> lambdas!
>>
>> ?????
>
> Write it:
>
>    (global-set-key [(super meta i)] (lambda ()
> (interactive) (ispell-change-dictionary "italian")))

It is probably easier to remember if you exilian why.

With the quote, it is a list, with the first element
lambda, the second element an empty list, and so on.

    '(1 2 3) ; the list (1 2 3)
(list 1 2 3) ; the same

If it is a function, the lambda, it can be optimized
when byte-compiled. In practice, I kind of think the
OPs lambda won't benefit from this (?), but sure, aim
to get as much of it right from day one, and practice
that on simple things just as well as on difficult
things.

Right?

By the way, I thought I would make it even more
pedagogical with `functionp' and `listp', but:

(functionp '(lambda () (interactive) 1)) ; t
(listp      (lambda () (interactive) 1)) ; t

It is as they say, you should stop when you are
ahead...

--
underground experts united