Re: latex-mode hook?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: latex-mode hook?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 08:06:00 -0400

> C-c C-e enum TAB RET

In plain latex-mode, it's C-c C-o enum TAB RET

> and you get

> \begin{enumerate}
>   (point)
> \end{enumerate}

And if you enable latex-electric-env-pair-mode, you can edit one of the
`enumerate' and the other one is kept in sync on the fly.

> How is that not a win?  And it even understands your \newcommand and
> \newenvironment invocations.

And that's the crucial difference between AUCTeX and plain latex-mode:
plain latex-mode does not even attempt to keep track of which packages
you use and which commands you define.

> In AUCTeX, if I have \usepackage[cp1250]{inputenc} near the beginning,
> the buffer is automatically put in the respective encoding.

This is also the case in plain latex-mode.  The two packages may differ
when it comes to the encoding used for the non-main files of
a multi-file LaTeX document, tho.

        Stefan