Re: move-beginning-of-line moves to the very beginning instead of where

From: dan
Subject: Re: move-beginning-of-line moves to the very beginning instead of where it should
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 11:38:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, September 5, 2014 10:40:16 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> There are modes to show overflow lines on several lines
> on your display. That makes sense... but it can make
> for confusion like in your case. Instead of
> visual-line-mode you can have auto-fill-mode and then
> hopefully beginning-of-line will be a better match with
> your (and mine) intuition of it.

Thanks Emanuel for the info about visual-line-mode.

It doesn't seem to exist in the older emacs (22.2.1) but does
exist in 24.3.1.

It has an effect if the prompt is more than one visual line long,
but control-A still takes you to the very beginning of the line.

So, for example, if the prompt is 1.5 lines long, then control-A
takes you to the beginning of the visual line, i.e., deep inside
the prompt, but on the same line.

So . . . i'm all ears for a new function to bind to control-A.

But if i had a way of reversing the behavior that would be even better.

Why should control-A work properly, and then suddenly stop?  (I'm pretty
sure i must somehow be clobbering it with some accidental keystrokes,
but i sure cannot figure out what they are.  :(   It typically works
for at least a few days before it flips into this misbehaving state.)

Thanks for your help!

dan