Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: Tu, Do
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:59:54 -0700 (PDT)

I think helm-find-files is much better than stock ido-find-file or even
ido-find-file because:

- It has fuzzy matching by default. You have to install flx to get fuzzy
matching in ido.
- Some people find that Ido horizontal listing is messy, so they create
`ido-vertical-mode` for cleaner looking. With Helm, you get this by default
with its interface. If you worry the Helm buffer is a bit big, you can always
customize its size.
- It has highlighting on candidates depend on types: directory has a color,
plain file has a color, executable has a color, shell script has a color.
- Depends on what file type your highlighting candidate is, Helm opens it
appropriately. For example, if you RET on a directory, Helm opens dired; if you
RET on a file, Helm opens that file. You can also customize the application to
open the files. Stock find-file at least can open directory; Ido simply can't.
- You can open multiple files with helm-find-files by marking with C-SPC and
press RET. If you want to everything at current directory, you can use M-a to
mark all then RET. You can even use wildcard expression like stock find-file
- Helm has a list of actions to apply on your files: checksum file, open file
externally, switch to eshell, grep, diff...
- Helm is compatible with both Linux and Windows path. Ido can't; you have to
drop into stock find-file.

Vào 23:49:00 UTC+7 Thứ hai, ngày 01 tháng chín năm 2014, York Zhao đã viết: