Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: A guide on setting up C/C++ development environment for Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:16:38 +0200

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

>> Fair enough. And as I mentioned on that other discussion, this is not
>> about you, David. Please don't take this personally.
>
> Your claim that we would insist on our own parser is simply false

That's great to know. My impression from the discussion on emacs-devel
was that you think that the built-in C++ parser is the way to go.

> and
> makes us look like bullheaded idiots.

No. It makes you look as someone with a view and confident about it, or
perhaps as someone who has fun working on what he likes, the way he
likes, as expected from anyone who contributes his work for free.

> Now go tell me how I should not take this personally.
>
> If someone comes around with a libclang-based parser which fits neatly
> into Semantic, I am the first one to merge it, and I know Eric wouldn't
> oppose it, either.

Being you the author of the current Clang support on CEDET and seeing
how you argued on its favor against the political decissions, that was
clear all along.

> It would have to stay upstream for political reasons,
> that much is true, but that's not my decision.

Yes, and neither this was addressed at you as the sole responsible of
steering CEDET. GNU's politics have a direct responsability on how Emacs
will evolve wrt those features.