Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 02:09:59 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, now that you two have blown my cover, I have to
> confess. I am from an alternate reality where
> technical limitations and bad design decisions are
> recognized, deprecated and obsoleted at the earliest
> opportunity. So, Unicode everywhere (including FTP
> and ZIP), keyboard rows are not staggered, and HTML
> has been superseded with XHTML which has to be valid
> to at least 1.0 Strict before any existing browser
> displays even a bit of it.

What?

> But even in that alternate reality, now and then,
> people still miss a bit of a technical limitation
> which was in effect at the time of their childhood.
> Some develop a CRT-like terminal emulator, some
> listen to music on vinyl discs.

Perhaps to you it is nostalgia. My first computer was a
Mac Plus - well, of course it wasn't mine, it was the
first I used, I mean.

The OS - perhaps what we would now would call a desktop
or window manager - was Finder. I remember upgrading
(or switching) to 6.0.7.

Finder was the smash hit of the GUIs. And there were
some great games like Dark Castle,
Beyond Dark Castle, Shadowgate and Prince of Persia.

There were also some crossovers from the PC world (like
King's Quest, Space Quest etc. from Sierra On-line)
which were horrible. (On-line back then was the
computer world, as opposed to the paper world.)

But I didn't think about the UI at all back then, as a
kid. Anyway, somewhere along the way I started using
PCs, Windows 95 and XP are the OSs I remember. (I
didn't do much DOS at all.) I did VB 5.0 and either C
or C++, I don't remember. I did BASIC on the TI
calculator and amazingly on the PlayStation 2 as well.
I'm actually much more a newcomer to the CLI world than
to programming.

No, I discovered the CLI and all with the SunOS and
later Debian. It took my quite some time to be GNOME-,
X-, and mouse-free. So for me it is absolutely not
about nostalgia. The moment I saw the terminal I
realized it was 100 times better, and I wanted nothing
else, but at that time I couldn't do everything I
wanted so I had to use X for certain things. RMAIL,
then Gnus, and Emacs-w3m were the last nails in the
coffin for me. Now I'm not that angry at GUIs, the
mouse, and all, anymore, because I don't use them.

It is like the police. When you feel they might arrest
you or ride into the street rally, you don't like them.
But when you are safe and sound you don't think about
them or waste any energy being negativistic and angry.

--
underground experts united