Re: mouse-movement getting in the way

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: mouse-movement getting in the way
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 23:44:13 +0200

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running Emacs 24.3.1 on GNU/Linux with xmonad as
> my window manager. I have 3 monitors.
>
> I try to avoid using the mouse

Good :)

(But remember the words of Master Yoda: "Do, or do not.
There is no try.")

> but sometimes I need to use it in other applications.

Perhaps you can setup a shortcut in Emacs that will
take you to that other window/application?

If that other application is in X, you can use
xbindkeys to get a shortcut to get back from X (or from
"non-Emacs X", if you use Emacs in X as well). That
will work for all applications running in X.

I don't know about xmonad but I know that with Openbox
you can use wmctrl, and you can find a couple of
examples here [1].

Check out the manpages for xbindkeys and wmctrl for
more.

> When I move the mouse from one of my other screens
> into the screen running emacs, the first command I
> type will always fail with a minibuffer error e.g.
>
>   C-c <mouse-movement> is undefined

Will this happen for *any* command? That sounds like a
bug. You can report it with `report-emacs-bug'. If you
don't use Emacs for mails you can either start with
that, which will enhance your game considerably in an
instant, or if you don't want to do that I'm sure there
is another way to report bugs - either someone on this
list will tell you, or you could search the Emacs
homepage for what to do. Perhaps using the information
you get with report-emacs-bug and just yank (paste) it
into an email will do - only like I said, I wouldn't
recommend that but instead that you use Emacs (perhaps
you already do that, I don't know).

Good luck!

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/wm

--