I want an unsaveable buffer

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: I want an unsaveable buffer
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 15:48:11 +0000

I work in *scratch* a lot, /and/ I save (C-xC-s) very frequently just as a
matter of habit. The consequence is that I find myself typing to the "File to
save in:" prompt when I just want to continue working.

Turning off or remapping C-xC-s in *scratch* is easy enough, but the obviously
useful generalization is to turn saving off in any new buffer not associated
with a regular file. (Writing buffer contents would remain, but you already
have to think when you want that.)

The natural route is to write a hook for buffer creation. The only hook I can
find for that is buffer-list-update-hook which is also run on renaming,
deletion, etc. I can imagine grabbing the output of (backtrace) to look at how
the hook was called, but that no longer feels natural to me.

Does anyone know of a natural approach to this?

Thanks.

,Doug
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

Hazmat condition: There's some emacs on the floor.