Re: Colourful display? [was Re: mail-yank-original problem]

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Colourful display? [was Re: mail-yank-original problem]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 22:12:46 +0200

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> How do you get your display so colourful please?
>> What theme are you using in the screenshot please?
>
> Ho-ho-ho, "theme"! :) :) No, those colors and
> everything are setup face-by-face,
> variable-by-variable. Make it work, by outworking the
> opposition...

When I first read that ("theme"), I thought it was
bizarre because it was so far from how it was, just
installing or picking a theme. Come to think of it, my
configuration could just as well be put in a `progn'
and executed once, I suppose. That would make it a
theme. Are there Gnus (and/or Emacs) themes around?
Mine should be called the CRT theme. Either that, or
"Mindfullness", like the tattoo of the Assassins, the
Persian order that was put down in the 13th century by
the Mongols. It has been the theme of my work in this
project...

By the way, it is no coincidence that a girl was the
first ever to be interested in this. I once read a book
with material on Pac-Man (the Japanese game, not
Filipino fighter). When they made that game they did
the monsters in different colors, just so it would
possibly attract some female fighters! I don't know if
it worked, though (?).

I actually don't know why Emacs is so conservative
color-wise. Colors are helpful (productive), but they
also make you feel good, so you get even more
productive. It is not coincidence that children are
afraid of the dark, that people wear black at funerals,
and that girls put red on their lips and blue over
their eyes. The emotional response to black is
negative, and to the lack of colors -
indifference... Just do it as the kids and girls like
it, it'll be the right way.

Example - the buffer menu:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/buffer_menu.png

Compare that to:

(dired "~")

Why do dired look so dull? A more colorful Emacs would
be great PR. Colors should be just like font-lock in a
programming mode. But... sometimes you have to stretch
your imagination. Whenever there is a spare color, and
nothing sensible (that can be formulated), it is better
to just put it to use. Colors are a help to the
intellect but they are very emotional at the same
time. Best if they make sense but still good just to
have.

Oh, and yes. In the previous message on this, I forgot
to include the mode line with the faces. Literally
makes it or breaks it.

'(mode-line          ((t (:foreground "white" :background "blue" :bold t))))
'(mode-line-inactive ((t (:foreground "white" :background "red"  :bold t))))

--
underground experts united