Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Getting Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and apostrophes
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 02:04:10 +0200

Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> writes:

> How do I get Emacs to play nice with Hunspell and
> apostrophes.  I thought I had it covered, but it
> seems that something has changed and now M-x ispell
> won’t recognize “isn’t” as a word anymore.

“isn’t” isn't an error according to my spellchecker,
aspell.

But before I go on about that, I agree with everyone
else saying don't use those silly chars - what's the
benefit? They look stupid and they bring along problems
like this (though not for aspell, it would seem, but
for Hunspell in your case, and in other situations as
well). Again, what's the gain using them?

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
(setq ispell-dictionary "english")
(setq ispell-silently-savep t)

Ignore within special delimiters:

(add-to-list 'ispell-skip-region-alist '("`" . "`"))
(add-to-list 'ispell-skip-region-alist '("`" . "'"))

> First off, what English dictionary should I be using?

With aspell, get it from the repositories - likewise
dictionaries, which are called aspell-en, aspell-sv,
etc.

More aspell:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/spell.el

To really get the blood pumping behind your ears, you
need shortcuts for the different dictionaries, as well.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573