Re: using movemail directly in .emacs

From: lee
Subject: Re: using movemail directly in .emacs
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 13:40:23 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> It`s not impossible, yet it doesn`t make much sense.  Using a single
>> file like the spool file is an anachronism
>
> [...]
>
> The problem here isn't that spool files are an anarchonism, it's that
> they're not made for storing large amounts of mail.

The OP seemed to want to keep all their email in their spool file. Doing
that, and keeping many emails in the same file (other than for
archiving), is the anachronism, not the spool file itself --- I should
have said it this way.

> (Notice I'm not saying that spool files aren't an
> anachonism. Multi-user *nix computers that are never switched off are
> going the way of dinosaurs and spool files with them.)

Hm, I`m using a spool file, and gnus takes the mail from there.  It`s
simple and works fine when used like that.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.