Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 20:35:01 +0200

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

2> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>>> Wrong! I don't know of any "man" called Sharon! :)

>>> Yes, but! Your references appear in the text as numbers, i.e. [1]
>>> which is not what I'm after. I'm looking for "author/editor, year".
>>
>> So pass the option "natbib" or "author-year" or whatever you prefer to
>> biblatex.  See "texdoc biblatex", section "3.3.1 Citation Styles".
>>
>> Or use biblatex-chicago. I use it like this:
>>
>> \usepackage[authordate, natbib, backend=biber,citetracker=true,
>>   uniquename=mininit, ibidtracker=false, maxcitenames=2]{biblatex-chicago}
>
> Thanks for this, using your "\usepackage" above, but which do I use
> for the bib database? I've tried both but I'm not sure which is
> working.
> \addbibresource{uh2014.bib}
> \bibliography{uh2014}

Use \addbibressource{·} where · is the path to your bib-file.

> This is part of "uh2014.bib"
> @Article{MacRae2002,
>   author = {MacRae K. Pattison J.},

this should be

     {K. MacRae and J. Pattison}

or

    {MacRae, K. and Pattison, J.},

>   title = {Home chemotherapy.},
>   journaltitle = {Nursing Times},

journal = {·} is also OK.

>   year = {2002},
>   key = {MacRae2002},

you probably don't need key.

>   volume = {98},
>   number = {35},
>   pages = {34-35},

use -- for separating numbers.

> }
>
> and in the text it is cited as
> ╭────
> │\cite{MacRae2002}
> ╰────
>
> but it shows in the pdf as "M. K. P. J. 2002."
>
> How can I get it to show as"[MacRae2002]" please?

\parencite{MacRae2002} → (MacRae, 2002)
\textcite{MacRae2002}  → MacRae (2002).

If you truly want the KEY to show up and not a combination of the
author and the year you'd need some other style.

With the option natbib you can also use natbib commands.  See

     texdoc natnotes

—Rasmus

--
I hear there's rumors on the, uh, Internets. . .