Re: .mailrc

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: .mailrc
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 10:53:09 +0100

>>> The To: field isn't required.  I've just sent a test
>>> mail with no To: field and only Bcc:
>>> my@addr1.invalid, my@addr2.invalid and the mail was
>>> delivered correctly to both addresses.  But of
>>> course, there might be mailing lists that are
>>> configured to bounce messages without To:.
>>
>> Yes, this is the case.
>
> That is somewhat understandable (yeah, what's so
> secretive about it?), but why bounce on several
> addresses in the To: header?

To stop people sending mass emails out to lots of mailing lists. Which
is, of course, exactly what I am trying to do, although in my case it's
10 rather than 1000s of mailing lists.

> alias crew "name1 <m1@h1.d1>, name2 <m2@h2.d2>" # cool
>
> Then just type crew in the To: header.
>
> Only drawback is you probably want aliases for the
> individual names as well, so if you ever need to change
> an address, search and replace is recommended. I don't
> know if anyone knows a quick way to get around that,
> i.e., to not have to have the same data
> "hard-specified" at several places?

I use bbdb mail aliases. The association works the other way around (the
name has an alias, rather than alias has a name).

Phil