.mailrc (was: How to get Gnus to send multiple emails)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: .mailrc (was: How to get Gnus to send multiple emails)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 20:47:14 +0200

phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> The To: field isn't required.  I've just sent a test
>> mail with no To: field and only Bcc:
>> my@addr1.invalid, my@addr2.invalid and the mail was
>> delivered correctly to both addresses.  But of
>> course, there might be mailing lists that are
>> configured to bounce messages without To:.
>
> Yes, this is the case.

That is somewhat understandable (yeah, what's so
secretive about it?), but why bounce on several
addresses in the To: header?

I still think that method makes the most sense because
that's what it is. It is the most logical method. (If
that's it, so be it, of course.)

If you send mails from Emacs' message mode, you can
setup fast aliases to several recipients in the
~/.mailrc file, like this:

alias crew "name1 <m1@h1.d1>, name2 <m2@h2.d2>" # cool

Then just type crew in the To: header.

Only drawback is you probably want aliases for the
individual names as well, so if you ever need to change
an address, search and replace is recommended. I don't
know if anyone knows a quick way to get around that,
i.e., to not have to have the same data
"hard-specified" at several places?

--
underground experts united: