Re: Build emacs on debian

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: Build emacs on debian
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 08:48:53 +0100

>> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>>> The easiest thing is to start with whatever the Debian packager
>>> thought was needed for the Debian package.
>>>
>>>   # apt-get build-dep emacs24
>>>
>>> That will install the build dependencies as declared in the packaged
>>> files.  You might want something more or less but that is a good start.
>>
>> Thanks for the trusty good input sir.
>>
>> I think you may have given that same answer some mnths ago.  Sorry to
>> be a pest. This one goes in the emacs notes db.
>
> Oddly that ended poorly.... not sure why:
>  sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24
>
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dependency tree
>   Reading state information... Done
>   E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
>
> I'm pretty sure I don't need source pkgs to build emacs so must be
> something else going on.
>
> cat source.list:
>   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

But there are no sources there, here is part of my sources.list
deb http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

See the difference, mine has 'deb-src' and yours hasn't, and thats what it is
asking for.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1