Re: Emacs Package Loading & .emacs ??

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Loading & .emacs ??
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:21:11 AM UTC+5:30, David Masterson wrote:
> David Masterson  writes:

> > W. Greenhouse  writes:
> >> 2. The correct form would be (require 'org-install) anyway, if you were
> >>    manually loading org.
> >> 3. If you decide for some reason that you really do need to use
> >>    (require 'org-install), you should do this from `after-init-hook'
> >>    (which is run at step 17 of (info "(elisp) Startup Summary"), well
> >>    after package init), OR you can explicitly (package-initialize) early
> >>    in init and (setq package-enable-at-startup nil) to skip step 15.
> >>    above. (info "(emacs) Package Installation") details some of the
> >>    pros and cons of each approach.
> > Hmmm.  I'll have to recheck that.  This goes against the standard way of
> > to use after-init-hook before. It's so hard to teach an old dog new
> > tricks...

> Nope -- still not getting it...

> I tried adding (require 'org-install) to the after-init-hook.  No errors
> showed up, but org-version is still 7.9.3f.

Ive not yet migrated to the new package system (so what I say may have
no relation with your needs)

However Ive had problems with recent org not properly shadowing the builtin
one properly.

Ive 'cured' (you may call it bludgeoned) that problem out by doing

(load-file (expand-file-name "~/path/to/org-loaddefs.el"))

followed by this (which should be superseded by some package stuff)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to//org-mode/contrib/lisp")

After that (require 'org) is not required!