Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode input on Windows Emacs: any plans?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:03:37 +0300

> From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 21:57:04 +0000 (UTC)

> > What do you mean by "doesn't work"?
>
> I meant only that “it only supports the current OEM codepage” is
> synonymous with “it is not Unicode input”.

That is correct only for output.  On input, Emacs supports the same
Unicode characters it does in GUI sessions, i.e. not limited to the
OEM codepage.  Whatever characters the current keyboard layout can
send, Emacs will receive and correctly insert it in the buffer.  When
displaying that buffer, we are limited to the current console
codepage.

> > May I suggest reporting a bug
> > using "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", and including all the details of how
> > to reproduce the problems starting with "emacs -Q" or "emacs -Q -nw"?
>
> I did not do any experiments in console mode.  But looking at what
> Emacs does in windowed mode, I do not see why to reproduce this
> (extremely buggy) behaviour in console would represent any problem…

I suggested reporting a bug because I think there might be a
misunderstanding here.  I think you are talking about a bug that
doesn't exist, or maybe I (still) don't understand what buggy behavior
you are describing.  A bug report is a good way of figuring out which
is which.