Re: Intelligently opening large files in emacs

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Intelligently opening large files in emacs
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:29:01 -0400

> I'm relatively new to emacs, but am pretty fascinated by its features. One
> pain point is that it is rather slow in opening large data files bound to
> specific modes.

I must admit, I'm not surprised.

> I generally observe it for circuit mode files (files utilizing
> verilog-mode, spice-mode and spectre-mode).  Is there a possibility to
> help this?

In the longer run, we should aim to make Emacs fast enough even in
those modes.  I can't promise anything, but if you can provide sample
files and steps to trigger the slow behavior, maybe someone will be able
to find the culprit as well as a fix/workaround.  Of course, it is quite
likely that the slowdown is due to a combination of things, so "the fix"
is a long and painful one, so it might be difficult to find someone
motivated enough.

        Stefan