Re: Long response times from elpa.gnu.org

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Long response times from elpa.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 12:47:05 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Johan Andersson wrote:
> > I have in the last months noticed that elpa.gnu.org can be really slow and
> > sometimes package.el times out when fetching the archive-contents. Note
> > that this does not happen all the time. Most of the times it works
> > perfectly fine.
>
> I indeed saw this problem recently (a couple weeks ago), and when
> I logged into elpa.gnu.org to investigate, I saw a flood of connections
> in the log.  So I think it was a kind of DoS attack.  Logging in via SSH
> was perfectly responsive, tho, and I'm no sysadmin.
>
> When you see such slow response times, please go to savannah.gnu.org and
> open a support request about it.

Good idea but as far as I know elpa.gnu.org is not a Savannah machine.
Therefore the Savannah Hackers won't have any ability to do anything
about it.  (Speaking as one of the Savannah Hackers.  But I keep
finding things tucked away in unknown corners.)

  https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SavannahArchitecture/

Problems with elpa.gnu.org needs to be reported to the folks that
maintain elpa.gnu.org.  Or if that is unknown then to FSF sysadmin.

Bob