Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on sta

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: In defense of Customize [was: Trying to right-align my window on startup]
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:21:22 +0100

phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Again, depends on what you do with a laptop. If I am
> travelling for work, then I can use the time to work,
> or else I can listen to music and then ignore my
> family when I get home while I catch up with work.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the hours to travel, the
means of transportation, etc.

I have been a lot on trains and busses and I have seen
a lot of people with laptops. But I didn't see as many
people doing real work, far from it. I get the
impression that 95% of those either do that because of
boredom, or because of nervous energy, or because they
actually think it will work, each time.

I think it is much more productive to read or to listen
to mp3 lectures and documentaries, and you don't need
to be "spot on" on either. You might be a better
programmer after reading a book on dinosaurs. But I
don't think anyone benefits from getting the computer
in place, then being stressed with power, the Internet,
then checking Facebook where nothing ever happens, then
from their seats to the bathroom like Houdini (nowhere
to put the laptop), change of bus/train, do it all over
again...

But if you are on a boat from Poland to Sweden, you
have more time and space, it is another ball game.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573